Burong Isda or Fermented Fish
When making my "Ano ang gusto mong pasalubong?" request, buro
) is my usual answer. Why buro
- It is my favorite food, of all time, of anything!
- The longer that you preserve it, the better (So, you won't even have to worry about getting it stale- never! In fact, at one time, my Nanay Aning bought a huge can of buro and I was making sure it would last me for a year and miraculously, it did - even better, actually heavenly!)
- It is what it is: fish and rice - both cheap and easy to buy in the Iloko region of the Philippines
- The immigration won't confiscate it as long as you declare it - unless you have a stop over in Hawaii and chances are, the people who are working there are Ilocanos who are also in great need of such buro supply, so there might be buro MIA case for you.
- Where else on this land of fried chicken, RAGU and pasta will you ever buy buroby the tin can? Nowhere - so why not buro for pasalubong!
is rather rare!
has something unique, hmmm...a raunchy smell!
, makes my neighbors cringe to their stomach and maybe grind their teeth.
I like to cook buro with a lot of onions and garlic. So, one autumn day, I was sauteeing the ingredients for my buro
when one of our neighbors rang the doorbell:
: I'm sorry, but we were just wondering if there was an electrical line burning in your house. We have been smelling this burning smell.
: Oh, that was my food!
: Oh, I'm sorry I thought something was burning.
: You want some, it's buro - my favorite!
: Oh, NO thank you!
Then she left as I enjoyed my buro with a plateful of rice, eating with my bare hands.
Ilocano wife phone chats with her sister in the Philippines as American Husband listens in the background
: Hay na adiay kua
ket madi met nga malmalpas sen. Madik kuma ngarud nga kayat ngem adiay kua
da met ket sige met lattan.
: Hmmm…(thinking to himself)
: Wen ah, diay kua
ket nagpintas nga taltalaga. Umay ka met nga agbisita nu kwa a.
: Hmmm…(again thinking to himself)
: Wen – basta nu umay ka dittoy ipasyar ka diay cua
da Maricar tapno makitam met nu kasanu iti kasasaad da met ah.
: Hmmm…(again thinking to himself for the third time
)…Honey (signaling his wife to stop
: Okay sige ngarud kabsat, tu maminsan manen. (hangs up the phone)
: Honey, who is Jay Cua
that you keep talking about?